Wednesday 16 November 2011

Personal vs Professional





                                             Now that I have your attention...



Where do you draw the line with facebook? I recently watched a short film on how facebook is rapidly taking over our lives and we don’t even know it. It stated that relationships go down the crapper because of it and relationships start because of it (in the odd case). Most of all it talked about on how much information we share on the famous site facebook.


Now that you have thought about what you have shared on facebook, it brings me to talk about the biggest piece of information going around. Did you EVERYONE can see what you put on facebook, it’s not as private as you think. Potential employers can see all of your pictures, statuses, EVERYTHING even if it’s deleted.

I have many questions when it comes to this topic. Why would employers or even potential employees want to know what you’re doing in your free time? Aren’t you a right to an outside life? Now in days I’m not so sure and I’m wondering why? I feel like your personal life and your professional lives are two different things. Face it, we ALL act differently when we are at work because we want to keep our jobs and we know the difference between the two. For some reason though employers don’t know the difference and they think that they all tie into one.

Think about it, if you want to have just a social gathering and god for bid there is a glass of wine  (which you can get a glass of wine at ANY place now...) in the picture there is a possibility that you will be fired. If you watch the video regarding a schoolteacher, who has been employed with this school for two years I might add, was fired over a facebook picture. All because she posted some pictures from a vacation.



                                                                 These are it... 

Again I just don’t understand on how in society these days everyone is CONSTENTLY worried on how social media will f**k up your life. As I have stated before, we know how to have two separate lives, so why can’t employers let us do that, live TWO SEPARATE lives.

That would be awesome. 

I think people need to stop worrying about what other people think. Yes, it is important with the line of work that I would like to get into but I still don’t see the connection on how they can judge me on my facebook page when they don’t even know me.

Another thing they mentioned in the short film I watched was that not all the pictures are as they appear. You don’t know the situation about each picture that is on a person’s facebook page, nor should an employer/potential employee’s. I feel like if you are a good employee, you show up on time, you make the company money, you’re doing something you love/good at, what’s the problem if someone wants to go out for a night on the town once in awhile, god for bid everyone deserves one. Some times people want to remember that night on how awesome it felt to be alive and childish for once in their grown up lives.  

No, they can’t because the world is run by the “man.” 

The man doesn’t like what they see, judges you and you are either fired or not eligible for a job/promotion. 
So fellow bloggers/citizens I will ask you again, where do YOU draw the line with facebook?

No comments:

Post a Comment